Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

20 years ago I had to go to court in Queensland. I had no…

Customer Question
20 years ago I...

20 years ago I had to go to court in Queensland. I had no conviction recorded. I now need a national

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Police check run for a new job

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/27/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Oh hi Leon. Can you assist with Queensland law too?

Good Afternoon

Being more than 10 years and if you have had no other convictions this can be spent provided it meets certain criteria

Here is some information for you.

https://www.gotocourt.com.au/criminal-law/qld/spent-conviction/

It is always best for you to disclose the conviction because there are some jobs that the conviction will be disclosed in the record. These include working for the government, working with children etc.

But if you meet the criteria it should not appear.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

I haven’t been asked about it as part of the recruitment process. But a line in my contract stipulates a criminal history check.

You can obtain it yourself and provide it.

If you were not sentenced to a jail term and it is not a job that is not in the list of exemptions taken from the link I sent earlir, it should not appear.

In Queensland, there are exceptions to the non-disclosure provisions for spent convictions for some specified occupations or professions and they are listed in the Act. If a person wishes to apply for one of those specified positions (which includes solicitors, magistrates, police officers, teachers and prison employees), then they will need to disclose all or perhaps just some specified criminal convictions, which will include those that have been spent. The provisions for each employment category are set out in a table in section 9A of the Act. Some agencies are also able to access the information. These include police, the parole board, immigration authorities and intelligence and security agencies.

Ok. Thank. I had already found that information myself I was just looking for validation

Good Afternoon

Regards