Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am the head coach for an incorporated amateur soccer club…

Customer Question
I am the head...

I am the head coach for an incorporated amateur soccer club based in Western Australia. I was recently requested by my club president to meet and assess an individual who had expressed his interest to become a coach at our club. The only information I was given was, that he was highly qualified and had last season coached at a club in a MUCH higher league than ours. I felt that this was not sufficient information to give a fair assessment so I contacted his former club by email, Identified my self (Although I am known by some members of the club) and explained the purpose of my request. I asked for confirmation that he had held a position in their club. Their assessment of his professional capabilities. Could they comment on why he left their high profile club to join a considerably inferior organisation. The communication that I received back was I felt open and honest, however it contained the following statement Without prejudice to the club or the writerRe: Mr ???? ?????The club did engage ???? ????? in a junior coach role for the 2015 -16 season.On appointment to this position the club considered Mr ???? coaching abilities to be of a good standard.Mr ???? position within this club was terminated quite early in the season as a result of allegations of stalking issues involving a parent in the team and our Junior Coordinator which resulted in a police investigation.In preference to Mr ????? I feel I should add that, although the club elected to disassociate itself from Mr ????? to the best of our knowledge no police charges were made regarding these allegations.I trust that given the potential sensitivity of the information provided you will treat this information accordingly.Regards,???? ????
Secretary

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Upon receipt of this information I felt that I had a duty of care to our club and it's members (we also have a girls team) but realised that this was a potentially serious situation. In strict confidence I spoke to my first team captain and voiced my concerns, he agreed that I had a duty of care to advise the club. So I requested a private meeting with our clubs vice president with whom I had several matters to discuss. During our conversation I verbally advised him that there had been allegations made, police had investigated however I had not been advised of any charges made.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

To date I have not given the letter to anyone, however I have received a call from the individual concerned who has claimed that I have been slandering him and that he intends to pursue legal action.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/27/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

You did not say anything to anyone about what was in the letter?