Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have just this evening cancelled an on-line airline

Customer Question
I have just this...

I have just this evening cancelled an on-line airline booking through Webjet for travel beginning 21 December. They intend to pass on the airline's cancellation fee of $1,200.00 & say they will refund the just under $16,000.00 fare in up to 12 weeks.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

I' m here at Fig Tree Pocket Qld 4069 where the booking & subsequent communications with Webjet has taken place. The booking & payment was made on 08 September

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes, have cancelled this evening after 7 days of back & forth communication re required flight changes, with a nil result on top of, in most cases tardy responses. I say this in the knowledge of the actual required flights being available by way of my accessing severally the concerned airline's on-line site.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I have rebooked the required itinerary directly on the Emirates on-line site, which was confirmed within minutes at a cost of another $15,000.00 (plus)

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/25/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

I am sorry for the delay.

When you booked with webjet, there were terms and conditions that you agreed to and they would have mentioned cancellation fees.

You cannot avoid the $1,200.00 cancellation fee as the airline passes it on and you agreed to any cancellation fee when you booked the tickets.
The time to pay you the balance again this should be set out in the terms and conditions. They have to get the money back from the airline before they can give it to you.

The terms and conditions that you entered into when you signed up is what you have to look at. If they refuse to pay you back the money all together then you can take the matter to QCAT and sue them.

But look at the terms and conditions to confirm what they are able to charge you and also what the airline can charge you.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards