Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I own a property at North Lakes and the tenant advises me…

Hello, I own a...

Hello, I own a property at North Lakes and the tenant advises me that two neighbours are throwing rubbish and bottles into the yard. This has resulted in the tenant now wanting to vacate the house. This will cause loss of rent to me as well as new advertising costs. Am I able to claim against the neighbours for losses incurred due to the neighbour behaviour

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

In north Lakes in Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I believe the tenant has only told the managing agent. I only became aware of this in the last week

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is the extent of my inquiry

11/25/2017
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

you are able to raise a nuisance claim against those neighbors.

If you tenant is under a lease, and the fact that there is rubbish being thrown over the fence will not entitle to the tenant to terminate the lease, unless there is a serious covenant breach.

Have you issued a formal complaint notice to the neighbors yet ?

No. The tenant is a single mother with young children. Bottles have been thrown over the fence which creates a dangerous situation. I have only found out about this in the last week.

I recommend that you send a formal notice to the neighbors regarding the nuisance, referencing the legislation and that a claim will be brought if such action is not stopped.

Then inform your tenant the action you have taken.

Do you have a written lease with the tenant ?

it is all done through a real estate agent

ok

It's important that your communication with the agent is all in writing to void any counter claims that they did not receive any instruction.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.

No thanks. I was just after some basic information as to how to best progress the issue

Understand.

Have I answered your important question today ?

thanks. That's all I need for the time being

Thank you.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

John Melis, Lawyer