Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My father (with QBank) set up an automatic transfer of $50…

Customer Question
My father (with QBank)...

My father (with QBank) set up an automatic transfer of $50 per fortnight to my account (CUA). Unfortunately, he had 1 incorrect number and $350 has been transferred to a different account in error. QBank have told him that it would cost $40 for every transaction to retrieve this money. That means, out of $350 he would only receive $70. Is this correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We contacted QBank and they said it was up to CUA to follow through. CUA said it was up to QBank. Eventually QBank told him about the $40 fee per transaction! My Dad is 72 and not very computer literate. He is on a pension and just beside himself.....$350 is a LOT of money for him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really. I just need to follow this up for him because he is not good on the phone and I didn't know this online setup was available! How is it fair for the bank to take so much money from him - when only 1 letter is needed to the people who received this money to retrieve it. I had that happen years ago when money was put in my account in error and the bank took it back in one go? Thank you so much for your help.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/24/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Retrieval funds does result in a cost to the bank.

Each bank sets their only charges in this regard and you can review those charges under their policy guidelines on their website.

You could send a letter to the bank seeking leniency on the basis of hardship for the fee to be applied.

Have you considered that option ?

We tried that but they just don't care.

Have your sent a further follow up to the banks hardship department and not the general bank addresses ?

The letter also needs to state what the hardship that you are experiencing at the present time.

I cannot afford to talk to you on the phone! I cannot believe I am being charged for this......I was looking on the Ombudsman's website and it automatically went to you? This has now cost me more than Dad was going to get back....it's shameful! I just wanted to know HOW TO GET HIS MONEY BACK! It is theft for the other party to keep the money?

this is site is just answer.

government websites in Australian have the string .gov.au

I understand your difficulty situation, and have extended a special offer to you to talk on the phone if you prefer ?

No I do not accept! Clearly this is an overseas person talking to me and I now wish to cancel all of this....DO NOT CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD BECAUSE YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION AND I WILL TAKE FURTHER ACTION.

I am Australian Lawyer based in Melbourne if you need help I am willing to assist your matter with the bank ? That is why I have extended a special offer to you.

No thank you. This is just a rort to extort more money out of innocent people who just need 1 answer to a question!!! Forget it. I cancel this and according to your first page, the money is refundable, so thanks for that at least!

The answer to your important question was provided and how to deal with the next step with the rejection you received from the bank. Sometimes having a lawyer call the bank on your behalf will as well.

No it wasn't!! You asked if we had asked for leniency and I said yes we have. How is that answering my question? I WILL NOT BE CHARGED FOR THIS.

I also said to you that the next step is to send a letter to the hardship department and not just the general address to the bank, as there are very different areas.

Actually, after I told you we had asked them, the request to call you came up on the screen - with the additional fee of course. I was answering that and I did not even know you had sent that reply until just now? Scrolling back through I saw it. It is not rocket science, nor is it legal assistance, to tell someone to write a letter. We are in the process of doing that anyway. I wanted to check with the banking ombudsman and DID NOT KNOW I would be charged for it. You have not offered me any legal advice as yet, at all. I am done here. Have a nice day.

You are welcome to call me on the telephone if you need and there you can discuss your important matter in detail if you prefer. There are many ways to deal with the bank and each situation needs to be dealt with carefully.