Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

My Friend was advised to plead guilty in a law suit as he

Hi My Friend was advised...
Hi My Friend was advised to plead guilty in a law suit as he was the one being charged. The judge was confused as to why he was being charged and not the company and the other workers that day. The charge was as a result of a severe injury to a worker. My friend was fined but the judge refused to convict him as he felt that he was not solely responsible for the incident. The victim came to the case as a bystander and later put an article in the newspaper and online stating his PTSD and the medical surgeries that he had to go through. He said that he was happy that someone was being held responsible and that he could now start the next stage. We presume that he will now go for workers compensation. Can he also try to get a civil case against my friend?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean - newspaper - court proceedings
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/24/2017
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

If your friend was found guilty and find then he is convicted.

The judge would not have fined him if there was no conviction.

If the injury occurred at work it would be a workers compensation case.

If your friend was negligent and caused the accident and the employer is not liable I am surprised it went to the criminal courts. This is all civil.

The action would be against the party that was liable but criminal proceedings do not mean he is liable in negligence.

I am surprised your friend did what he did.

But the person injured can prove that your friend was negligent and the cause of their injuries yes they can sue them.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Leon, Solicitor