Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am a journalist currently investigating an issue of unfair…

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a journalist currently investigating an issue of unfair working environment at a part time job I am employed in. A chain restaurant around Sydney is working their staff double the hours of the average Australian for 60% less pay, it is all cash and off the books. They are all on working/student visa's from Thailand and live, study, and work together. They aren't socialising with other Australian's aside from me, and were unaware of how unfair the company is treating them. They are too afraid of going on the record to talk about how the company is overworking/underpaying them as they need job security to be able to stay in Australia. I'm seeking legal advise on this issue.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just to clarify, I am a journalist investigating this restaurant on their unfair employment issues, however I work part time at the restaurant too. However, I am getting paid the award rate unlike the foreign staff members.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/24/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Hi Leon, how much is the fee for a call?
Fern
I'll just stick to messenger, for now thanks.

Good Afternoon

If they work more than 20 hours they are in breach of the their visas and will possibly face having them cancelled.

They are being ripped off and also are entitled to get their money paid to them.

But they have to admit to the breach of their visa conditions.

They have to be prepared to stand up for themselves.