Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am 52 years old and have been married for 29 years, my…

Customer Question
Hi I am 52...

Hi I am 52 years old and have been married for 29 years, my marriage has been a very dysfunctional one with verbal abuse and most recently physical abuse. We are paying off a mortgage with both of our names on the title. My husband refuses to sell I have, found a rental property which I can afford, however, my husband is making it very difficult for me to leave. What are my rights if I leave with regards ***** ***** mortgage payments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We share debts with regards ***** ***** due to my husband losing his business of 18 years. My husband suffers from mental health issues and is working full time but very abusive.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/23/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

The next step is to commence financial separation proceedings.

This will allow you to move on in your life independently on a financial basis.

Have you commenced any form of financial separation ?

how do I commence financial separation?

you need to find out all the asset details of the relationship, bank accounts, property, super and then take this to a lawyer and they will then commence the legal process.

There are several steps involved, but the most important is finding out what assets there that form the total asset pool.

Have you made a list yet ?