Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am in Hobart Tasmanian.I recently purchased concert

Customer Question
Goodmorning, Lawyer's Assistant: What...

Goodmorning,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Hobart Tasmanian.I recently purchased concert tickets through group called viagogo. I elected to have e-tickets in order to print from home. The email I received upon payment, stated that the tickets may not be available until 3 days before the concert, and it was then I noted that there were no seat allocations made. The concert is in Adelaide. I have emailed this group to request a refund, based on the fact that they have not provided me with the product I have purchased. The email response stated they could not refund us. The email was full of very 'loop hole' language, such as 'in the rare occasion that you don't receive your tickets', they say that we will be covered by a guarantee. However, by that stage we will have already travelled interstate, and incurred all the associated costs (my husband and I are taking our 2 daughters) to potentially not get to the concert.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am not sure if we have anywhere to go with this, but feel that we have purchased fake tickets. If the company cannot provide us with the product that we have paid for, isn't that illegal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO I think this is it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/23/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Have you considered raising a claim under the Australian Consumer Law for misleading conduct ?

No - I have not been in this situation before, so not sure of what options I have.
What is the legal situation in such a case?
Sorry is that it - a one line answer ?

The description you have given, indicates there is misleading and may be deceptive conduct, which would come under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.

The first step that you would want to do is to raise a formal complaint in writing to the vendor (seller).

Do you need help with the complaint ?

The only way of contacting them is via email, Which I have done, and I have complained and asked that the tickets be sent to us within 5 days or that I would be making a claim through my financial group to seek a refund. I am just trying to find out if there are any legal options and if this group have come up in other fraud claims?

do the have a business name? because then you can find out their contact details through ASIC and then send a formal complaint to there registered office address, or to the directors directly themselves.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.