Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am a senior Radiograoher in a private medical imaging

Customer Question
I am a senior...

I am a senior Radiograoher in a private medical imaging company .

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In Nsw i Work manag8ng 2 sites that ar3 100 km away form each other and if the

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Sorry I need to finish the explanation. I was told I would b

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Bet paid km for travel form one site to the other during the day and I maybe claim it 4 to 6 times a fortnight , if I start at 7 and Work till 7 , am I right in claiming for the whole hours because I am travelling during my lunch break period .

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/23/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

where you are traveling for work purposes between two locations you can claim those hours.

The question is then when do you take lunch ?

I rarely have time to take a break.

Ok this raises the next important question.

does your employment contract reference a lunch break ?

I’m not sure , but if I work through my lunch break I don’t get pay in $ I get accrued time

The answer is in two parts as it concerns breaks and work time and what happens during those breaks.

I have extended a special offer to you with on the telephone to make it easier to explain your legal rights if you prefer ?

I really just need to know if I am expecting the wrong thing or not .
I work very hard and dont get any time free and it seems a little steep that I could be accused of double dipping when the travel is 100 km and takes and hour to drive that far . I don’t go home early I actually even work longer hours than a shift because the company has a staffing shortage and I am making up for 2-3 people , yet I was told this today .

Ok I will explain.

1. Your employment contract states the number of hours you work.

2. There is also a lunch break

3. the lunch break is defined as a break from the workplace.

4. Where you are not ordered to drive during your break and you choose to drive during your break, you are not legally required to be paid during that break period.

There are a lot of issues surrounding your contract, and if you prefer we can talk on the phone as well.

Does this answer your important question today ?

I think I will need to look into my contractual arrangement
It’s a one hour trip , even if I get a break which I don’t its only supposed to be 30 minutes
Thanks for your help any way

you may be able to argue that you should be paid, but I would really need to discuss on the phone if you can make time. Then I can clear it up very quickly for you if you prefer.