Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a car for my son 5 months ago it is a brand new…

Hi Pearl, I bought...

Hi Pearl, I bought a car for my son 5 months ago it is a brand new $40,000 car. He lives in Adelaide and in that time he has had it impounded for hoon driving, been caught 45kph over the speed limit and hit another car. The car is under finance in my name and he has also modified the exhaust.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

He has had himself removed from the insurance so ins now in insured. I am obviously in breach of the finance contract and he is refusing to hand the car back. the police at it's a civil matter. I am looking for legal advice as to how I get the car back so its not impounded and crushed and I am paying $40,000 for a car that no longer exists.

Lawyer's Assistant: We take care of them immediately, but sometimes it takes 3 to 5 days for the banks to process things.

I don't want to pay his fines for him I want the car returned to me before the police take it and sell it or crush it and I am stuck paying for it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I need to take my son to court to retrieve the vehicle the police say its not stolen even though I have told them I no longer consent to him driving it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The invoice for the car and the finance is in my name but it is registered in his name which is the complication.

11/23/2017
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Have you registered your interest for the vehicle on the PPSR ?

John Melis, Lawyer
The finance company has a PPSR registration, I do not have a personal one. The Tax Invoice is in my name, I have issued no paperwork to my son transferring ownership as it is under finance.
Phone call session started

I will call you in 3 minutes.