Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a problem where, my son got involve in car. He

Customer Question
I have a problem...

I have a problem where, my son got involve in car. He crashed into other car. I want to pay $160 a fortnight but he doesn't want. He wants $500. I am the only one working. I did told him that too. He has given me until tomorrow. My son was a student.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I'm in ACT. My car is 1999 model. I don't know about his car. He charged my son $8000. I asked him to have my mechanic check the car and give me quote but he refused.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. My son got confused with the date and didn't attend the tribunal.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yea. My son doesn't work and I am stepping in to help with this. And also the man is acting on behalf of his female relative. My son is scared of him because during the accident, the man threatened him with a base ball bat.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
i have no scan to scan the document
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
He also said that he will arranged with the police to check on my son's bank statement if I don't pay by tomorrow. (Friday 24th)
At the moment, I am scared, that they might arrest my son and send him to jail. I am confused as due date is tomorrow.
I still insist that, my mechanic check on the car damaged and give me quote instead of his own mechanic's quote. My son asked him about this and he didn't agree on this.
11/23/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

[1] if the owner of the vehicle which your son drove has full comprehensive insurance, then the insurance will cover the payment for the other car.

[2] of the owner of the vehicle which your son drove does not have insurance, then that owner will be sued by the other car owner directly, or their insurer.

[3] from the facts you have described the vehicle that was being driven by your son is your car, is that correct?

[4] if the car is your car then you should let the insurance deal with the incident that is in question.

[4] if your car has no insurance, or the car that your son was driving has no insurance, and the other car has no insurance, then an agreement needs to be made as to the repayments of damages for the loss incurred.

[4] if the other car has insurance and your car does not or the car your son was driving did not, then you should not negotiate with the driver of the other car, but let his insurance company deal with you directly as this will be cleaner and more precise to finalize the matter.

There are many issues that need to be considered.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.