Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am with Powerdirect for my home electricity. Just got an…

Customer Question
Hi, I am with...

Hi, I am with Powerdirect for my home electricity. Just got an additional bill from them for the period 2 May to 31 July. All my bills have been paid on time and in full. Can they do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No well just got my new bill, and the amount of $108.37 was carried over and added to my new bill. When queried they sent me the bill stating that it was for the abovementioned period.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, they sent me the bill but no explanation was given as to why this has been added now.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/22/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

in this important situation, I recommend that if you have not done so already, that you call Powerdirect seeking an explanation on the same.

If they are unable to provide a property reason, then a formal complaint may be issued in writing to their disputes department.

Its important to keep a record of the call you made and what is sent.

Does this answer your important question today ?

I did phone them and asked for a detailed explanation, and stated that I would be forwarding their explanation to the ombudsman. I only received a bill for the disputed amount, no explanation as to why this has now been added to my account 5 months later.
$82 is almost as such as I "owe" them.

Ok, the next step is to raise a formal written complaint to Powerdirect.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.