Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a question regarding my obligation to deal with

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding my obligation to deal with incorrectly addressed mail.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria. For 12 months I have been returning mail for the previous occupants of my house and there two mailers who refuse to acknowledge that the addressee is np longer at this address despite many (6) returns.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know what 'filed means, I have reported the matter to Australia Post but they are, apparently, obliged to forward mail to any address that actualy exists.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

If you have done everything possible to notify the sender and mail keeps on coming, you can discard hat mail.

Does this answer your questions ?

Thankyou. Should my discarding of mail be questioned how do I prove that I have notified the mailer?

You do not need to prove anything.

You have done everything that a reasonable person would do in this type of situation.

Does this answer your important question ?

again, thank you.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.