Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am to distribute inheritance to my nieces and nephews at…

Customer Question
Hi i am to...

Hi i am to distribute inheritance to my nieces and nephews at the age of 21 however my ex sister in law wants her daughter's at the age of 18. She is estranged from my brother (daughter's father) Do I have to tell her father (my brother) that she will receiver her inheritance at 18 or can i just go ahead?? Clear as mud??

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I don't think so 5 of the beneficiaries have their share ...all over 21 but now there are 5 more all under 21

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The father (my brother) of the 18 year old has an intervention order against him from his ex wife (18 yo mother) i would prefer not to tell my brother and just give the money to my niece as her mother wants

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
where are you
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

The will states the beneficiaries must be 21.

So the estate cannot be distributed to an 18 year old.

You must follow the procedures under the legislation otherwise you can be personally held liable.

Do you have a copy of the will I can review ?