Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have an easement on my rural property. It states that my…

Customer Question
I have an easement...

I have an easement on my rural property. It states that my neighbours have free and unrestricted access. Am I able to lock the gates at the road frontage if there is a key available for them to use? I am not disputing their right of way, but wondering if I have any rights in regard to security of my property.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They definatly have a right of way. It states it on the title, free and unrestricted access.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that is it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/22/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Is this detailed on the title to the property ?

You do have a right to secure your property but it will need to comply with the easement conditions.

Can you tell me more about the easement ?