Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wife was abused as a child. She acted out and abused

Customer Question
My wife was abused...

My wife was abused as a child. She acted out and abused another child. It went to court and she received a good behaviour bond. The mother of the abused child is ring us and threatening to take it to court unless we pay her. This was ov3r 20 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations on a damages claim against a child offence?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Western Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet. She only contacted contacted her last night

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/22/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

In this type of situation, mediating the matter with the assistance of lawyers will be the key element in resolving the claims that are raised.

Have you considered this option ?

Not yet. The mother of the child who my wife abused as a child has rung my wife asking for us to offer her some compensation amount or she'll go to court. I feel that this is blackmail and that the women should attempt to proceed with civil action, rather than trying to get money through the back door. What's to say if we offer money, she doesn't come back asking for more later.

Ok, this is a very tricky issue, and where there are calls of this nature, it is important that detailed file notes are taken.

Is this occurring at this time ?

Why have I been charged $81 for this. It said it was a $5 refundable payment
It happened last night. My wife was a child at the time of the offence and charged as a child.

You will on be charged for what you have selected.

As you matter is extremely important I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer to talk on the telephone ?

We don't have much money. I selected free trial, and now says it charged $81 and you want another $7 for a call. I think I'll cancel this before it costs me anymore

You matter is very important and you are talking with a lawyer, and I will assist you at this special rate.

It is important to resolve the allegations raised otherwise the matter will end up up in court costing in the thousands of dollars.

We'll try to contact a local lawyer. I'm not spending anymore on this scam service

I am local in Melbourne. Is that close enough ?

I'm in WA in a country town 300km from Perth

That is ok, I am Australian lawyer and can help you and will be much more cost effective than sitting in a lawyers office paying the $300 + fee per hour.

All I want to know is does the mother of the abused child have any grounds to claim damages for something that was settled in court 20+ years ago. Especially when my wife's was a child when she's committed the offence and she was give a good behaviour bond

Yes she does, subject the facts, and she will need to prove the allegations raised.

But once the matter is raised in the court it will be costly for both parties.

It is important to address the issues early .

Would you like to talk on the phone ?

I'll get back to you.

Ok.

So did I answer your questions to day as to your requirements ?