Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

How can i find out if my fathers property was still in his…

Customer Question
How can i find...

How can i find out if my fathers property was still in his name and owned by him when he passed away a few years ago?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My fathers will has been changed by my sister shortlty before he passed away i have a copy of his will here

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/22/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

How long ago did he pass? Do you know if probate was granted?

You can do historical searches with the Land Department in Victoria

https://www.propertyandlandtitles.vic.gov.au/land-titles/title-search

You are going to have to get details of the property such and the lot number and the plan number and also the Folio and Volume

Council may be able to give you this under Freedom of Information

Once you have that then you can undertake the historic search.

If his will was probated you can obtain a copy and that will also have the assets that he owned and the house would be listed if it was in his name. This can be obtained from the Supreme Court in Victoria.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

it is important that i know before i travel to vvictoria in the next week whether my parents had ant of the land/property i recall them owning still at the time they died. A** sister ewas appointed executor days before dad died. he passed away 18 months after my mother. Was there any land/property owned in victoria by R**** or F**** ( nee mcpherson) .my father died * *** 2010 so any titles held before that. Thanks

Good Morning

As I have said you need to undertake the search with Vic Lands.

Here is the link to follow but you need to know the address

https://www.landata.vic.gov.au/

The probate of the will also will give you details of what they owned at the time of death and this has to be obtained from the Supreme Court of Victoria

I cannot give you anything more.

Regards