Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am wanting to relocate to QLD from nsw to be with my

Customer Question
I am wanting to...

I am wanting to relocate to QLD from nsw to be with my partner in about 10 months time. I hsve a 7 yr old girl with my ex husband. I got a letter today from a solicitor about not relocating until a parent order is set up which I understand. I need to know if I am the one moving , does that mean I am responsible for ALL travel costs always? This would break me financially

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Nsw

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I’m worried about the costs as I have limited work as I care for my dad with dementia and my 7 yr old . But I think some offer a free first consultation. I don’t want to keep my daughter from her father at all and she can fly unocompanied , but I don’t want to have to pay for it all. He was the one who left me and my expenses raising the kids has been significantly larger than his contribution. I finally meet someone after 6 years and I want to be with him but I’m worried I will have to pay for it all . I have to go to mediation with him to come to an arrangement but I don’t know what rights I have in sharing travel expenses.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can he stop me moving ? Does it matter whether I’m married as I am engaged. Does that come into it at all?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
what can I negotiate in mediation that is fair and reasonable considering that my expenses far out weigh his in the raising of our daughter and did for our other daughter who is now 19. For example , I paid the ENTIRE AMOUNT for her braces which was 9k with not a cent from my ex. I had to move back home with my father and until my 19 yr old moved out a month ago had to share a bed and bedroom with my young one while he lives near the beach with his girlfriend with limited responsibility. He has the young one every second weekend and half school holidays . Every second weekend wouldn’t be practical from QLD to NSW and I don’t want to have to give her up EVERY school holidays for the whole time. My partner has 2 daughters who get on so well with my daughter so when they are in qld in school holidays , my daughter will want to spend time with us all too. I want to be fair but what is reasonable in this situation?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/21/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

In relation to the travel costs for your child this will be subject to the parenting orders that are made. I recommend that such costs are discussed in detail to reach a reasonable conclusion respect to the shared parenting. One parent will not forced to pay the entire costs.

Do you have a lawyer that will assist you with the mediation ?

No. I only got the letter from his yesterday not knowing that was going to happen.
So one parent won’t be made to pay all travel costs usually?

There are various factors to considered, but generally, one parent does not bare all the costs.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.