Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My question is about telcos and their obligation to provide…

Customer Question
My question is about...

My question is about telcos and their obligation to provide service coverage. I was with Dodo and mobile coverage was abysmal. I moved to Spintel and the same happened. It seems they both use Optus. I complained to Dodo and to Spintel. They both told me that they:" they have not been able to provide service to your satisfaction due to limitations our wholesaler has supplied us". Surely if you agree to a contract with a Telco the onus is on them to provide a satisfactory service. This is also a monetary obligation, albeit at the lower end of the cost structure. Bpth Spintel and Dodo recommend finding an alternative supplier with Spintel recommending Telstra. Is this strange or is it just me. In the meantime, I have mobie coverage around 6.30am but very little during the day. I am 75 years old and keep a mobile in case I get into trouble, looks to me that the worst trouble is with Optus. Are telcos obliged to honour agreements/contracts or are they exempt?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I am trying to calm down and consider if it would be worth it or just try Telstra

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The reponse from Spintel is written in black and white.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/21/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

Are you after the ombudsman?

We are solicitors and this service is not free.