Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I’ve just purchased a car which came with a statutory

Customer Question
Hi I’ve just purchased...

Hi I’ve just purchased a car which came with a statutory warranty for three months. I just went to service the car and my mechanic said the head gasket is gone there is oil in my water. The car yard are trying to tell me the warranty doesn’t cover a few things and they want me to go in and purchase a further 12mth extended warranty so they can fix it. If there is a major engine problem as my mechanic told me are they obligated to fix it under the terms of the statutory warranty as the paper works indicate or should I purchase the extra warranty. It feels like they just want us to buy the warranty so they can palm the work off to them

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Queensland and the car is 9 years old

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/21/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

You may have a claim for misleading conduct against the seller.

Is this something you would like to pursue ?