Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Just wanting to chat with an ombudsman regarding a home

Customer Question
Hi, just wanting to...

Hi, just wanting to chat with an ombudsman regarding a home loan

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not really, they wont return my calls/emails

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that I have proceeded to pre-approval stage with Mortgage House on the understanding that the interest rate to refinance was 3.69, they are denying that, they took 600.00 from me then proceeded to tell me that the interest rate was 6.80% ok thanks, ***** ***** just wondering if I am contacting you too soon though? all this happened last frida

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/21/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

When the lender presented documents to you, did they have the interest rate written within the agreement?

If they failed to provide you proper disclosure there may be an argument for misleading conduct?

Have you signed the loan documents yet ?

hi John, just wondering where I stand with a company called Mortgage House please. I rang them approximately 2 weeks ago to discuss refinancing my home at a better interest rate that I currently have. They told me verbally 3.69%, i proceeded with documentation up until last Friday when they asked for a $600.00 payment (I was never told this) to proceed to pre-approval stage. I transferred the 600.00 at the bank, when I got home I had a new email from them which said that my rate would be 4.8%, i argued that I was never told that and that they had told me 3.69 (which is why I proceeded). They are denying this. I managed to speak with someone yesterday who said that my case was now "With Management".
i believe i have been mislead. I have requested my 600.00 back to which they replied its "with management". I contacted my bank to get the money back but as far was I am aware the money is with Mortgage House. They are not returning my calls or emails at present.

It is very possible that you have been misled in this respect, was there any email communication in this regard ?

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.

i have not signed loan documents, as I was at pre-approval stage when I saw that the interest rate was 4.8%
i can't atm, i am about to leave work, i cannot afford a phone call either. I will just keep trying them and get back to you if thats ok please

Ok, from a lender consumer point, the broker/lender did not act appropriately and you can raise a valid complaint.

If you need you can accept the call and my numbers will display and you can ring me when you have time.

Have i answered your questions today ?