Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have. a problem with Qld land tax and the. dept are not…

Customer Question
Hi. I have. a...

Hi. I have. a problem with Qld land tax and the. dept are not being helpful

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In. Qld

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only threats of. legal action if. we don't pay ,Its. with the. collection dept , but my grandchildren live in the house , the. house was put in a trust/ company with out us. knowing the. ramifications

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Merely that. the. attitude of Land. tax officer if lacking consideration and compassion for the well being of my grand children and. the. act. that my. grandchildren have lived in the house. since feb 2016

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Land tax is payable throughout Australia where the property is not the principle place of residence or holds some other form of exemption.

You have explained the house was put into a trust without your knowledge of the ramifications. In this circumstance you may be able to raise a claim against that party involved for the losses that you are incurred on the grounds of negligence.

Was it an accountant that did this property transfer ?

No a firm of solictor in Robina qlds. The law company at the time move us from One solictor to another , then another solictor in that law firm , the later solictor , had now idea & had not been briefed . I've been oversea & my son & his ex wife were handling matters , hence the matter has now got out of hand , and the revenue dept are being rather aggressive , I explained to the revenue dept that my daughter in law and grandchildren have lived in the house since feb 2016 , so no tax , because I've been oversea , what happened before then , is hard to fathom but land tax could have been applicable as there was non family members co habitaing there. . To sue the previous solictors , could be very difficult , & prolonged ,we just need the tax from 2016 feb removed , thanking You mal ******

If the tax debt is significant, and they lawyers have failed to advise properly, you can and should raise a claim against them.

What will happen is they will engage their insurer to deal with the issue but most important is that you have a legal right and should not accept such poor quality of work from the lawyer in relation to advice.

Would you like to talk on the phone about this matter and how to approach it ?

Hi John , if OK I'll call u tomorrow , I have to pick up my grandchildren , , from two different places , so I'll be super busy thanking You Mal

Yes that is ok.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone when you are ready. Just accept the offer and my numbers will be displayed for you.