Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR PAST 27YRS WITH MY BROTHER ,I'AM…

Customer Question
HI I HAVE BEEN...

HI I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR PAST 27YRS WITH MY BROTHER ,I'AM WISHING TO LEAVE ,I HAVE 50% OWNERSHIP.I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT TO DO .MY BROTHER HAS KNOW INTEREST IN PURCHASING MY HALF,WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE .THANKS

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

N.S.W NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

I HAVE GIVEN A DOCUMENT TO HIM TELLING HIM MY INTENTIONS

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

, THE ONLY THING IS THAT HE HAS ACCEPTED NOW THAT I'AM LEAVING,AND THE BUSINESS IS NOW UP FOR SALE ,JUST THAT I'M GOING BEFORE BUSINESS IS SOLD.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer
Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. 

Kind regards. 
Are you running your business as a proprietary limited company or in your name as a sole trader, or are you under a partnership agreement?
As a proprietary limited company

the appropriate way out of of the the business is through the sale of your shares.

this means you sell your shares held over to your brother through a share sales agreement.

you will then need to resign as a director of the company and have your name removed from ASIC's register.

have you drafted a share sales agreement yet ?

We have 4 motor vehicles 2 owned outright by company and 2 on lease and money in investment a/c plus other assets owned by company. DO i have any entitlements on these

if these assets are in the company name, they will belong to the company.

Unless the company itself enters into a agreement to sell you these items .

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.