Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Have an issue with child support just met this kid I've been…

Customer Question
Have an issue with...

Have an issue with child support just met this kid I've been paying for and he's nothing even remotely like me. Had dna tests done at the time first one came back negative and she had them look at it again and they found by swapping my result for his that made him suddenly my kid ?? but am needing to do a form 107 so can do another one without the interuption need to know ball park figure on cost

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not as yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Will need to get a stay of proceedings for child support asap as they are really getting difficult

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer
Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. 

Kind regards
The Family Law Act contains five statutory presumptions of parentage and they do not cover every circumstance. Though each of these presumptions may be rebutted by proof on the balance of probabilities.
Presumption 1.
Where a woman gives birth to a child within 44 weeks of a marriage being annulled or terminated by death, the husband and wife are the parents of the child. This same situation arises where the husband and wife are separated and the child is born within 44 weeks of that separation following a period where the husband and wife had resumed cohabitation for a period.
Presumption 2.
Where a couple are not married and a child is born between 20 to 40 weeks to the woman, the man is presumed to be the father of the child. For this presumption to apply there needs to be proved that there was stability in the domestic relationship.
Presumption 3.
Where a child is born and a person’s name is ***** ***** child’s birth certificate, there is a presumption that the name of the person on the birth certificate is the parent of that child born. This presumption also applies in a foreign country were the law has a recognised birth registry system.
Presumption 4.
Where no presumptions apply to parenting and a court finds that a person is a parent on the facts of a case, then that person will be recognised as the parent to that child. This will also apply in a foreign jurisdiction and recognised in Australia were a competent court in that foreign country has confirmed the same.
Presumption 5.
Where any man signs a legal instrument that acknowledges they are the father of a child, and that document is not annulled or set aside, that man is presumed to be the father of that child.
When child support matters are raised as to whether a parent needs to pay child support there are six presumptions under the Child Support (Assessment) Act 1989:
Presumption 1.
A child was born during the marriage then both parties are parents.
Presumption 2.
A person's name is ***** ***** the birth certificate of the child, they are a parent.
Presumption 3.
The court has found on the facts of a case that the person in question is a parent.
Presumption 4.
The person in question has signed an instrument, which is a legal document that confirms that the person is the parent of the child.
Presumption 5.
A person has adopted a child, they are a parent.
Presumption 6.
A person, whether male of female is recognised as a parent under the Family Law Act in relation to artificial conception or surrogacy.
Where there are disputed findings by the Child Support Agency, the CSA known for short, will select the option that most likely prevails under the legislation.
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor