Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My 17 year old daughter is on a lease with a couple who is…

Customer Question
My 17 year old...

My 17 year old daughter is on a lease with a couple who is renting. Initially she moved in with them and rented a room while she is at university. She comes home over the school holidays. The landlord found out and mentioned she wasn't on the lease. The couple then decides to move to another house to rent and this time had my daughter sign on the lease for her name to be included on the rental agreement. We didn't realise she is to stay for the whole duration of the lease as she is now able to move back home since university has finished for the year. The couple are making her pay rent for the whole term of the lease even though she has moved out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed to who?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is basically saying if she doesn't carry on paying then they would have to go to tribunal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer
Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. 

Kind regards. 
You daughter will be bound by the lease that is signed. However, the may be an argument on the basis that she was mislead into signing the agreement. This a complicated claim in this case. I have extended a special offer to talk on the phone if you prefer?