Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have question regarding landlord's rights in Victoria.

Hi I have question...

Hi I have question regarding landlord's rights in Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Currently with VCAT but as far as I can tell the tenant can keep requesting reviews and string the whole process out for a considerable period of time while we lose more and more money in rent - particularly given we are heading in to the holiday season

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Issue is with unpaid rent

11/20/2017
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Do you have a copy of the points if claim was filed ?

Hi John
Case taken to VCAT for non-payment of rent. (3 months worth and growing) VCAT ruling in our favour although tenant didn't bother to show up. Once application was made for warrant of possession was made this was cancelled due to the tenant requesting a review (scheduled for next Tuesday). As far as I can tell they can continue to string this review payment out for a considerable period of time - fair chance they won't turn up next week (wasting our valuable time) and then, if I understand correctly they have to go in to lodge an request for review. All the time the unpaid rent is building and with Christmas approaching I fear they are using the system to maximise stalling time while we lose money. Do we have any recourse via other avenues other than VCAT which seems heavily stacked in the tenant's favour!!! We have been reasonable landlords sorting out 1 x issue for the tennant when they moved in and they have not paid a single months rent!

VCAT is your only option under the residential tenancy act.

can you upload your points of claim, so I can look, as this is where you usually win or lose the matter at first instance.

Sounds like we need to let VCAT take its (lengthy and frustrating) course! Will upload the VCAT order as that has the tribunal findings on it - will that be satisfactory?

yes the order will be good.

Just emailing it to myself so I can send it on to you!

ok

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.

Order attached

ok i will review now

what you can do it consider suing for civil damages at the Magistrates Court.

i recommend we talk about this on the telephone first in more detail to allow a better understanding on the approach.

John Melis, Lawyer
thanks - I assume I claim the offer to facilitate

Numbers are displayed.

will call mobile now

ok.