Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I was offered a role at a major organisation that was

completely different to what I...
i was offered a role at a major organisation that was completely different to what I was told when i accepted the offer. The role was so bad I have just resigned. I left a very good job to take this as I thought I was walking into an established business, in fact it was a start up and nothing they told name was true. Can I do anything legally?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: nsw ( sydney)
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time contract - but when it refers to Job description attached there is not one. I am a seasoned professional and didn't think anything of it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i was talking to this business for a year before i accepted my offer, and i voiced my concerns about the reporting structure, i was told don't worry you just sport to that person on paper. I want to know if I can do anything as the role I accepted was not the one I was in. I left after 8 weeks. I was on $250,000 + Super. I resigned form my old firm to take this, and I am the sole bread winner for our family. I just could not work for that business another minute. I felt bullied and lied to on a daily basis
11/20/2017

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

did you receive an employment contract ?

ok, and did they make a different offer in writing to your before you signed the contract ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
no - the offer and contract all in one place. The offer was made verbally before the written offer. I thought I was accepting something else. the contract does not show anything other than a standard contract, job title notice etc. It said see job description attached. this was never attached. As I am an internal recruiter - I know what my job entails and this was discussed over 5 interviews. The role was not what we talked about

You may be able to raise a claim at the Fair Work Commission for misleading conduct by the employer.

But before taking that step I would recommend mediate with the employer.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer as it will make it easier to explain the options?

Numbers are displayed.