Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I am looking to understand a fathers rights to

Hi, I am looking to...
Hi, I am looking to understand a fathers rights to custody/contact after birth if the parents are not together
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Well the mother is in NSW The father is in Perth, WA No I haven't yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the parents are not together, they live in different states and that baby has not been born yet
11/20/2017
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Afternoon

There are no rights given to any parent.

The rights are all the children's and they are that the child is to know and spend time with both parents. The court when making orders always considers what is in the best interests of the child.

If you wish to make an application you have to have mediation first to tey and sort it out and if that fails them apply for orders.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court

http://www.familycourt.gov.au and http://www.federalcircuitcourt.gov.au

Have you had any discussions?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
That's okI am at work so a written response is fine
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Great thank you

Good Afternoon

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I think I'm good for now

Good Afternoon

Thank you for using the service.

If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor
Leon, Solicitor