Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

According to club constitution amendments to the rules

Customer Question
According to club constitution...

According to club constitution amendments to the rules require the members to have notification 14 days prior to voting, that is okay but can an minor amendment to that motion be proposed on the night of voting and if successfull then that becomes the motion which will be voted on then? or does another notification have to go out to all members of the minor change for another 14 day period. As a note of interest the proposed amendment does not affect current members only new members wishing to join.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No and I know that Consumer and Business services would not investigate this matter if it was reported to be found unconstitutional

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No only that I would like to know if there is any way the meeting could progress to voting on the rule chane with the minor amendment

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/20/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

This will depend on the constitution rules and bylaws that have been set.

General any minor amendment needs to be voted on thorough resolution unless the bylaws/constitution state otherwise.

Do you have a copy of the constitution so you can review the conditions on the same.

I have a copy.
This is the rule:- Proposal to amend the Constitution shall be given in writing, signed by five members, at a General Meeting of the club. Notice of such proposal shall be given to all members at least 14 days prior to the subsequent General Meeting.
This rule has been applied correctly just need to know if there can be an amendment to the motion given and voted on at the meeting without having to give a further 14 day notice etc.

Is there any rule in relation to drafting and motions and times to be presented to members ?

No I will not call as $82 would have to be a cost to me and not the club, I thought $5 for an answer would be something I would be happy to pay. As I am not getting a usefull answer I can only think I am going to waste your time and my money.
Thank You

I understand.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer in the box just displayed for your case.