Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am a Yr. 6 classroom teacher for two days a week in a

I am a Yr...

I am a Yr. 6 classroom teacher for two days a week in a Riverland Primary C

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

SA

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am a part time contract teacher in the Riverland SA. I teach in a Yr. 6 classroom two days a week. A few of the boys, and a couple of girls are hard to handle. I have 47 years experience in teaching. One boy is usually off task and distracts those around him from doing their work. As a result of his behaviour his name is ***** ***** mentioned and sometimes sent to buddy class. His mother, whom I have worked with before, is claiming I am “picking on her son” and has said this to other parents of the students in the class. I was made aware of the situation a couple of weeks ago by the principal. She and the well-being officer have been very supportive and have offered suggestions which I have used. The parent concerned has refused to speak to me about her concerns and will only deal with the principal and/or well-being officer. The parents are only getting one side of the story and I feel her behaviour is unprofessional and bullying. This parent/teacher is now the Director of a local preschool. In my principal’s words This situation is stressing me out and, I feel my reputation is being marred by

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In the principal’s words, the mother won’t meet with me because she would, “go for me.”

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor in Melbourne, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today.

Have you submitted to the principle a full written report as to what has been occurring in the classroom ?

Handling this matter diligently will need to occur to avoid a potential dismissal action being raised.

Up until now I have just spoken to her regarding the child. It was the principal who informed me of what the mother was doing and her involving other parents. She advised me, last Wednesday, to document what the child does and my response to his behaviour. I am only in the class for 40 minutes at the end of the day on a Wednesday so haven’t had the opportunity to document as yet. I couldn’t face going in today so will begin documentation tomorrow.
Thank you,
Marg

You are most welcome.

You can come back to this post any time to ask questions and there will be no further charges to you.

Don't for get to rate me for 5 stars as this will allow me to continue to answer your important questions.

John Melis, Lawyer
You will get 5 stars from me for your precise and quick replies.
I just want this matter cleared up and out in the open. So far the Principal, Well-being officer and my husband are the only ones to know.
Is it a case of bullying and/ or slander? I won’t go down that track but she is making my enthusiasm for working with the other kids hard as I am constantly trying to avoid having to bring his behaviour under check. He is not a violent child and I do like teaching him when he is on task.

you will have a claim for bullying conduct towards your person where you have been isolated by the school as well as other forms of conduct.

if you like i have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone if you prefer as it will make easier to get clearer answers ?

thank you.