Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We are currently using a factoring company for our invoices…

Customer Question
Hi, we are currently...

Hi, we are currently using a factoring company for our invoices and some of our clients are outside lending terms. As such it has put us in default with our Factoring company, however for the last 4-5 weeks we have issued invoices without funding and in addition clients have paid and the factoring company has received funds and held residuals as well as a buy back of overdue accounts. I have repeatedly requested an updated status of accounts but only promises and received nothing, instead they are appointing an accountant at our expense to come and sit in our office just to ring customers for collection purposes.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No, I was issued a notification of default and they are trying to affect their Power of Attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just want to know, what are our rights. Oh! yes; their terms were explained to us correctly, I was told that the invoices are purchased over sixty days from end of month, however all of a sudden now we are informed it's from date of invoice which means any invoices issued at the end of the month are 30days not sixty and therefore late fees incur after 30.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/19/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

[1] On the basis of your comments, you have genuine dispute concerning the default that has occurred.

[2] It is important to open communication with the factoring company to come to some amicable arrangement to avoid a negative credit rating being incurred.

[3] One the appropriate ways to deal with this situation is to enter into a form of settlement arrangement.

Have you commenced open communication on the default aspect in writing with them yet ?

I have tried repeatedly, however all I get from them is the urgency of appointing an accountant at my expense which costs would be added to my ledger and I feel this a tactic to increase my costs and allow them to continue to charge me higher interest rates of 26%

Yes this is a very possibility.

Have you considered repackage the entire lot and engaging another factoring company ?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor