Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Does an employer in NSW (university) have to pay my medical…

Customer Question
Does an employer in...

Does an employer in NSW (university) have to pay my medical expenses and a wage when my fixed term contract ends

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New south wales

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time - fixed term contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I registered a workers compensation claim at a university on 15 Nov 2017. My contract will end on 31 Dec 2017. This is a subsequent contract - a second extension

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/18/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

When your contract is over you will be paid your entitlements being unpaid annual leave.

If you have a claim for workers compensation, then that will continue. The Insurer will be dealing with that. As you have lodged the claim the accounts will be sent to the insurer and they will then pay them or reimburse you if you have paid for them.

Your employer does not pay the medical expenses the insurer does and all your accounts have to be given to the insurer.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Can I claim loss of earning entitlements from either the Insurer or University if I am not fully recovered before 31 Dec 2017?
I am now incapacitated that I cannot scope for further employment.
From 31 December I may be without a job yet still carrying an injury which can take months to recover from.

If your have been diagnosed with more than 15% of total body loss then you can take the matter to the supreme court and seek these types of damages.

The medical evidence is what will have to back up this type of claim.

If the medical reports say you will have a full recovery and an estimated date then you will have difficulty suing for long term losses.

But all this will be dealt with through the insurer, and the university is the party being sued.

Fimrs like Maurice Blackburn and Shine Lawyers can assist on a no win no fee basis as they specialise in this work.