Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am a grandpa who has been told by my son and daughter in…

I am a grandpa...

I am a grandpa who has been told by my son and daughter in law that l can't see my grand kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am in Victoria and a practising primary school teacher with a VIT registration.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No as l am waiting for any feedback this Christmas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am scared that l sent a return paid mail about what my grandchildren want for Christmas. They are in prep and grade 2 and are capable of returning my mail. But intercepted by their mum or dad they won't be able to reply.

11/18/2017
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question today. I may ask a few questions. I can call you for an extra fee.

Good Morning

The law recognises grandparents as having a right to ask for parenting orders and seek to spend time with their grand children.

The law requires that you go to mediation before court.

You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is

http://www.familyrelationships.gov.au

You can find your closest one on there.

The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you.

Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres.

If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court

http://www.familycourt.gov.au and http://www.federalcircuitcourt.gov.au

You may be eligible for legal aid but you have to try and have mediation.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you have found my answer to be helpful, please rate me five stars so I can get paid for my services to you. I am happy for you to ask further questions on anything you wish more detail on.

Regards

Leon, Solicitor