Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have recently come into a small inheritance from my

deceased mother's estate, and members...
I have recently come into a small inheritance from my deceased mother's estate, and members of my family are now claiming that I owe them monies going back to the last century and for which they have no paperwork. Although they have had numerous opportunities over the last 20 years to at least raise any issues of debts, they have not done so. I have repaid a debt of $5000 to my sister, which I believe was owed and which I had forgotten, but it seems to me that members of my family, from whom I am estranged, are now doing some creative accounting in order to make me feel ashamed and to prevent me from undertaking my "lifelong dream" of travelling to Europe. Can you please advise me of my ethical and legal responsibilities. If I pay the money that they infer they are owed, it will not improve any family relationships, and I feel that I am being taken advantage of.
11/18/2017
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

OK, thank you

If they cannot prove the debt owed, then there is no obligation legally for you to pay any funds to them.

Has there been an written debt demands substantiating the claims ?

No, none at all. The issue has only arisen since I told one of my sisters that I intended to travel overseas, thanks to my inheritance from my mother.

In this case you do not need to pay any money, as no one has been able to prove their debt owed.

Would you like to discuss this matter on the telephone ? I have extended a special offer to you if you prefer.

John Melis, Lawyer
They are currently using emotional blackmail to force payment, but since I already have a fractured relationship with them, to the extent where I am not allowed to see or even know my grandchildren, I can't see that things can get much worse. What do you think?

Numbers are displayed.