Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was charged with the NBN Internet service for two extra…

Customer Question
I was charged with...

I was charged with the NBN Internet service for two extra month (direct debited by TPG) after they have terminated their service in September - transferred to OPTUS. Is it legal for tjhem to do that. There is no Contract on tour service. They just jkeep debit my credit card if I have not notice and call/email them ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

I call in August and follow up with an Email about my intention to switch Aug/Sept, as I am not sure when Optus can take over. Optus told me that I do not have to do anything for the switch beside signing a transfer form.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I start to use and pay for Optus service late Sept. 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Their reason was that I did not tell them to cancel their account, but it give them the right to continue in charging with cancelled service (non contract). How can they say they are not informed of cancellation, if they have cancelled my service and pass the connection to Optus. Thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/17/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

have you written a formal complaint to the service provider yet ?

instead of refund the two months' over charge they are going to charge me an extra $8.00. with a reason of not notifying the cancellation.
Does it means that they have cancelled my service illegally ?

its possible.

do you want to make a claim under the Australian Consumer Law ?

It is not a matter of money (LESS THAN $150), BUT i WOULD LIKE ALL CONSUMER TO KNOW THE RIGHT AND NOT GETTING TRAP WITH THIS. CONTINUE DEBIT IF WE HAVE NOT NOTICE.

I recommend that you raise a claim under the Australian Consumer Law