Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Victoria +australia +who is +responsible a computer Magazine…

Customer Question
Hi, My name is*****...

Hi, My name is***** +victoria +australia +who is +responsible a computer Magazine claims a Sotware program is Freeware, but when it is installed one finds it is not Freeware at all

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Victoria

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, I download a Freeware Program to record my password (I have had a Brain injury since 1998) and I have been having a lot of problems with Passwords. I then found on the Wen a Freeware Download of 1Password. Is the Magazine who published that information responsible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it, but it is possible that I should have said mor.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/17/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

Have you sent a formal complaint to the publisher in writing yet ?

I have written to them this morning, but it is most likely too early to expect an answer. I would appreciate it if you could tell me if the Publisher has any responsibility to for their mistake? If they do, What should they be offering me?
Can we switch to Live phone? (I just saw it below). My Phone number is ***** 9029 4665.

Yes we can talk on the phone.

Just a couple other points, can you tell me in summary what you said the letter ?

That I had done a Bing Search for "+password +manager +freeware -Trial" and it had come up on that page for the PC Mag saying it was Freeware. On downloading in and then installing it, I found that it was not Freeware (and I guess that PC Mag made a big mistake).

Is there any warnings or terms and conditions noted in the publication concerning downloading content ?

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone if you prefer ?

Hi,This morning I did a Search for +Best +Freeware +Password +Manager and up came 1Passwords (Please see below)I then downloaded it and installed it on my PC only to find that it was not Freeware as you said it was. I have wasted nearly all morning trying to uninstall it and fix up the mess, but now I am no closer to having the Freeware Password ***** than I was at 9:00 am this morning.This is a screen shot of the false info. How can PCAuthority say it is Freeware when it is not Freeware.Now I have now wasted 6 hours of my time, but more importantly my stress levels have gone up greatly and as my wife is in hospital, I do not know which tables to take, so I have to wait until she is return to the ward so that I can talk to her.Regards,Ian Butterworth.

Have they responded to your complaint that you sent yet ?

No. It was only sent this morning

would you like to talk on the phone as I have sent you a special offer ?

I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you will sort it all out for AU $7.99?

if we talk on the telephone it will only cost that amount

telephone will make it easier for you, please accept the offer if you prefer ?