Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have worked as a casual for the same employer for 18mths.

Customer Question
I have worked as...

I have worked as a casual for the same employer for 18mths. I have asked on numerous occassions to be made permenant and always been ignored Now I am told this morning my services are no longer required. No notice, no reason just goodbye and its nearly xmas can they do this

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.

Done

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Manager told me and HR are pulling the strings. I am not the only one they have employed 5 new people No havent spoken to a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I have joined today The union has been looking for somewhere or somehow to nail him but I'm not that sort of person If he can do this legally thats ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats about it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/16/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

were you given an employment agreement ?

no

Do you think you were terminated unfairly ?

Of course they just said goodbye for no reason after 18mths and have someone else do the job

ok, this was important to ask, as it will form the basis of an unfair dismissal claim.

Your next step is to lodge a claim at the fair work commission for unfair dismissal. There are time limits that need to ne complied with.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone to assist you in this important matter if you prefer ?

Its ok now I know I have a legitimate cmplaint I will initially let the union deal with it

Ok. Keep in mind the time limits are strict with the Fair Work Commission and the application for the claim must be filed within those limits to ensure the claim remains valid.

Have I answered your questions today ?