Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

We have recently had a kitchen installed. The stone bench

Customer Question
tops were not installed satisfactorily...
We have recently had a kitchen installed. The stone bench tops were not installed satisfactorily to begin with and since then we have had our lives disrupted and the house has constantly needed cleaning. They are now going to replace the tops next week. We believe we are entitled to some form of compensation for the inconvenience. Are we correct?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Qld
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Yes and they offered us $800 to leave the tops as they were. We refused this offer as the tops were never right. We are seeking compensation for cleaning and disruption. This should have been finished 6 weeks ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Australia Law
11/16/2017
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 26 days ago

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 26 days ago

Did you sign a contract with the builder ?

Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 26 days ago

does the contract have a dispute resolution clause ?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Not that I know of
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 26 days ago

Ok.

The next step is to obtain a quote from another supplier/installer of the same bench top.

It is necessary to determine the cost to work out the potential loss that has resulted.

I have extended a special offer to talk on the telephone if you prefer on this important matter ?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No thanks.
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 26 days ago

ok.

Once you have the quote and have determine the loss, a formal complain referencing ALC and the legislation needs to be drafted and then issued to the builder.

Negotiations will start after this period.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
You have charged me $76 for a phone call that I did not authorise. Please refund this amount
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 25 days ago

Did you request a phone call, as I cannot see it from the post forum.

May be the charge is the question charge that you started with when you raised your first question. You can review this from your members area too.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I did not request a phone call. I'm quite happy to pay the initial $5 but not the $76
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 25 days ago

ok.

Would you like to talk on the telephone about your important legal matter. I have sent you a special offer to talk on the phone of you prefer ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No I would not.
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 25 days ago

ok. We can chat in this forum as you require.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I just want my money refunded
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 25 days ago

Have you made a request to the administrator on the help menu yet ?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No I wasn’t aware that I had to
Solicitor: John Melis,
 replied 25 days ago

If you make the request to the administrator they will assist you.

However, if you would like to talk to me in the meantime on the telephone about your legal matter you are welcome to accept the telephone offer that has been extended to you.

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor