Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I was employed by the then Department of Agriculture and

Customer Question

I was employed by the then Department of Agriculture and Food WA until 2014 and during that time was the victim of bullying by senior departmental officials. I was also the subject of several investigations undertaken by "independent investigators" during which many others were interviewed for their views of my actions and behavior. I suspect that at least some of those statements made concerning me were inaccurate at best and much worse blatant lies. The department always stated that their system is based on natural justice and i understand that to mean that I have the right to know what is being said about me if those comments are used to make judgments against me. Surely I have the right to answer any allegations made. I have contacted DAFWA (now DPIRD) who provided me with copies of the investigators reports that were largely blacked out. Their defense was that if I read what people said about me it would discourage others from coming forward in similar situations. It seems that I have no recourse to find out what lies have been told and that the only one protected here are those who have told lies that ultimately led to me losing the job I had had for 22 years. Surely if those who were interviewed had told the truth they have nothing to be concerned about. Do I have any way of obtaining unaltered copies of these reports.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: This was discussed with the Freedom of information coordinator at DAFWA
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: I was a level 5 salaried officer. Not sure what you mean "at will". I was a union member at the time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not aware of anything else at this stage
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  John Melis replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

Expert:  John Melis replied 1 year ago.

did you raise a formal complaint in writing ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a few years ago so I don't remember but i think not.
Expert:  John Melis replied 1 year ago.

Are you thinking of raising a claim against them ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I have grounds to do so i think I would
Expert:  John Melis replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

I have extended a special offer to talk with you by telephone if you prefer to discuss the options in detail when you have time ?