Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My mother in law took out a funeral plan policy in 2011. she…

Customer Question
Hello. My mother in...

Hello. My mother in law took out a funeral plan policy in 2011. she was making regular fortnightly payments out of her credit card. Her credit was stolen and the payments to funeral company was rejected. The company was sending the letters to the incorrect address. I phoned today and was advised her policy was cancelled and the $6500 is gone. I asked if I could reactivate her plan and they said no because she is over 80yrs. Surely she can at least get a % of her payments back? where do I go from here?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Western Australia - Insurance line $38.28 per fortnight started 14th march 2011

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes they said her policy is cancelled and she can not get the funds back. My mother in law is 83

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And is on the full pension

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/14/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

The first step you need to do in order to determine if there is a solution is to obtain a copy of the policy.

Do you have one yet ?

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor