Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

THANKYOU, for the past 10 years i have shared my rented home…

Customer Question
THANKYOU, for the past...

THANKYOU, for the past 10 years i have shared my rented home with a dear friend who has ocupied my guest room. HE has recently been diagnosed with Alziemer dementia and his interstate residing children have instigated moves to put in place a advanced care directive and a power of attorney. What would my place be in regard to me taking on the obligation of being his carer! He has ABOUT $100, ₩00 in savings and over the previous 10 years we have shared all living cost as equal 50/50 where do i stand now and what is my rights in the forseeable future regarding my personal security. THANKYOU

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No i have just had advise from alziemer australia regarding my own health and well being he is 74 and I am 72 his children have not shown any interest in how im feeling and are just interested in his well being

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

NO YOU ARE MY FIRST

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have always kept our finances separate so as to be able to claim two single pensions

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/13/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

To be his carer you would need to be appointed under a power of attorney, or enduring guardianship power ?

Have you considered these two options yet ?

No this has not been mentioned his daughter in Melbourne and son in Sydneybare taking hisvpower of attorney

Ok, in this case you could apply to be a full time carer directly to them.

Would you consider this as an option ?

Well i dont think i could do that for nothing am i entitled to any of his estate if i did this

You apply to the State to become a full time carer, but this will also be subject to the power.

I have extended a special offer to talk with you on the telephone if you prefer as this will be easier in explaining the options ?

Sounds to hard to me

Just accept the offer and we can talk it will be easy for you.