Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a friend that is aboriginal, he had a few beers at a…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend that is aboriginal, he had a few beers at a friends recently and decided to leave his motor bike there to walk home. On the way he was set upon by a couple of ice addicts who bashed him and stole his mobile phone and $750. He tried to get into a house that had lights on and found that the addicts were inside to retrieve his cash and phone, a fight developed and the addicts called the police, who charged him. His solicitor was in another court and he was represented by Legal Aid, a decision was made for him to reside with his mother somewhere in the country about 400Kl away. He has been forced to sell his motor bike to pay legal fees, move out of his flat, put his teenage son in the care of relatives because NSWPOL did not believe his story. Because of his treatment by the police he did not cooperate with them until he spoke to his solicitor. The police had apparently decided he was in the wrong and treated him terribly. Now he is miles from his legal representation and is not there for his son. His employer sacked him when he was charged with assault. His friends are flabbergasted by what has happened to him and I believe that he has strong grounds to sue NSWPOL and make a claim against them for the treatment and embarrassment and resultant loss of his residence, property and false imprisonment. Is this a matter that your office can handle. He is a respected member of the community and is a member of the National Service Re-enactment unit as is his son. Please advise Ray CARLIN

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He was arrested, charged, imprisoned for a period and bailed to his parents home in the country he is in his 40's

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't give you times or dates but it is in the last couple of months

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/11/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

I forgot to mention that the four persons involved in the attack on Brett were not charged. He has photographs of injuries sustained to him
Brett has two former AFP Detective Sergeants (members of VVPPAA Central Coast ), the President of Vietnam Veterans Peacekeepers and Peacemakers and former president of the Central Coast National Servicemens Association willing to provide character references for him

The main issues in this case is when your friend entered the property where the perpetrators where act who stole his money and bashed him, by entering the property uninvited he was technically breaking the law through trespass and trespass pass to person with the issue of assault.

A wrong was committed to your friend to begin with, and in such circumstance the reasonable approach by him was not to enter the property of the addicts but call the police.

However, saying this, if the court failed to take the initial incident fact into account, this would be sufficient grounds for appeal in relation to the sentence that was imposed by the court.

Have you considered this option ?

I might add that the first thing a Detective learns is not to accept things at face value, I believe the NSW police officers are guilty of thisOh yes, and I forgot to mention he was sprayed with Capsicum SprayWhat about Citizens Arrest Rights, and entering a premises to catch an offender where an offence had actually occurred, namely the assault and theft of his property

Where a person enters private property without authority this will constitute trespass.

Citizen arrest would not apply in your friends situation on the grounds of reasonableness to the circumstance.

I have extended a special offer to talk with you by telephone if you prefer ?

I'll talk to Brett and see if he wishes to speak to you
regardsRay

ok