Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am just leaving retrieving bond on a lease that was

Customer Question
Hi, I am just...

Hi, I am just leaving retrieving bond on a lease that was property was owned and lease was through the husband. He has passed during the lease, and wife has taken over. my question is will that lease still stand as it was with him not her? hope this makes sense

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We have been to bank but she is trying to take all bond.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

I owed 1 month rent and she put interest on it. she sent a letter of demand to solicitor which was $2800 ish and is now saying that in the lease which was 5 yrs long, that I did not pay for water rates and she is back dating for the last 5yrs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is she entitled to the water rates money?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/11/2017
Solicitor: Daniel, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Daniel, Solicitor
What was the lease agreement re water rates?
It said water rates.
I have been there 5 yrs and left lease end May.
I have never received a invoice for this and was not aware of it till the wife came to sign bond off and had said that I have to back pay.
Well if it did state water rates, are you not liable to pay?
Even after 5 yrs of not getting invoices?
Surely even if she took me to small claims, because they have not billed me they would say don’t worry?
Also as I first wrote, because the lease was her husbands not her, does it automatically transfer to her or is it voided?
Small claims will actually look to the contact sadly.They can look however to reducing their claim a bit perhaps, but at the end of the day, need a to be paid.Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost
as far as her inheriting the property due to death of husband.
Does the lease stand up for her or not?
Hello, ok, well it would be an asset that would be lect to her, so yes, the lease is valid.Please click accept and rate my service (with the stars). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost
I just don’t see how she has paid the bills for 5 yrs and now, she is asking me to pay when my lease has been finished since May 5 months after I have left the property.
It's sadly inside the limitation period to sue you for it in any event.I accept it is not what you want to hear

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.

Hello
I note I have not received a response?
I wish to help you in this situation.