Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I may have wrong site. I had a question about my mortgage.

Customer Question
I may have wrong...

I may have wrong site. I had a question about my mortgage

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. Just questioning at this stage. I have had my mortgage with perpetual trustees for over 17 yrs. During this time I have been occasionally late paying, as mortgage comes out on 17th every month and this doesn't always co incide with my payday. I have often informed them before hand it it has never been more than 7 days late repaying. I do get fined evry time and these fines have accrued to voer 8,000 dollars. They informed me today that I should start paying fines off and interest was accumulating. I was wondering if this is legal and i do have to pay fines. I feel this may not be.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Wesburn 3799

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really. I have the house on the market and wanted to find out if I defininitely had to pay when settlement occurs

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Australia Law
11/9/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

via internet is fine

Good Evening

There was a case where the banks were not allowed to charge penalty interest.

But you have to look at the agreement you signed.

When you say a fine is it a fee for the Direct debit failing?

Today, 1:45 PM
You
Hi Patricia,
I have changed the direct debit for the 23/11/17 for this month only.
Please note you have outstanding fees and charges of $8,305.84 that you need to start to clear.
Please advise if I can organise a monthly direct debit for an amount you can afford to reduce these fees. Interest is accruing on and the fees are increasing.
Regards,
Christine Qummou
Customer Relations Officer....................................................................................................................................................
Resimac Limited - Level 9,*****Sydney NSW 2000
....................................................................................................................................................
T: 02 9248 6535 E:***@******.*** W: www.resimac.com.au
From: Arrear Mailbox
Sent: Thursday, 9 November 2017 12:26 PM
To: ***** ***** <*****@******.***>
Subject: FW: Mortgage
Tania Ferreira
T: 02 9248 6522 F: 02 9248 2306 E:***@******.*** W: www.resimac.com.au
From: Verne Simmons [mailto***@******.***]
Sent: Thursday, 9 November 2017 10:58 AM
To: ***** ***** <*****@******.***>
Subject: Re: Mortgage
Loan account :(###) ###-####00022A
Patricia Verne Simmons
2909 Warburton Hwy
Wesburn
My mortgage is due to be automatically withdrawn on 17th November 2017. There will not be money in my account on this date. Can I please have an extension without being fined, to be withdrawn on 23/9/17.
Please let me know.
Thanks
***** *****(###) ###-####The agreement was 17yrs ago. It was interest only looan for first 5 years then they changed. I did not sign anything for this change, although it was a good thing to be paying off principal. The fines I think have built up over 17 yrs. I did wonder why they were getting so big and I saw today from email it is interest. In any event, the mortgage has never been more that 7 days overdue and I have always contcted them to redraw when money is there. On one occasion they tried to draw on the 17th in the morning and my pay went in the same day after 5. I was still fined. I thought the fines seemed to be about $100 a time, but seems to be increasing expedentially
I will ask for a copy of the original agreement
Are you still in contact or is that it?[just asking]

You signed at the beginning

You did not have to sign again.

Do you have the agreement?

You have to ask them for it.

It is excessive

I have just emailed them and asked for it. It is certainly excessive, especially since it is never in arrears for long. Can I get back to you when I read it or do I have to pay again?
Apart from the expense, I am selling my house and I am afraid they will delay settlement unless I pay this

email it to me

***@******.*** and I will look at it and get back to you.

They will take the fine when you sell.

Previous question is do I have to pay you again, as I am sure they will take at least a few days to send this to me

No just stay on this page

OK thank you....I would like to sort this before I sell! I cannot stay on this page as they will not send me anything until office hours

thats fine

email the agreement when you get it and I will come back to you here

Great thanks again. Do I need a number or reference to get you again

No when you respond here it will be sent to me.

Ok I'll get back to you

Talk soon

Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor