Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Since my neighbour built his house next door, he's removed

Hi, since my neighbour built...
Hi, since my neighbour built his house next door, he's removed the 'levy bank' that was adjacent to our property. All the other neighbours above him have this small levy bank, which sends the rain/groundwater to the back of each property, where there is a gully (a designated water run off on Lockyer Valley Regional Council plans). Since the neighbour has removed the levy bank, my shed floods, we've been inundated with water under our house to the point that the septic and grey water tank lids have popped and they received soil and water inside from this run off. I've contacted our local council, Lockyer Valley Regional Council and been told there is nothing they can do and suggested I build a drainage trench along my fence line, to take the water away and direct it back to the gully at the back of all our properties. I did this and erected a 1.9 metre corrugated fence, inside our existing fence line to help to direct the water. This has cost us quite a bit of money so far and it's not finished yet. We are still getting run off from our neighbors property and the drain requires constant maintenance, eg: digging out the soil that washes into it and fills it up and the spraying of weeds to keep it clear (a requirement of the council). The council have been no help whatsoever, the insurance company doesn't want to know us and the neighbour doesn't care and doesn't want to know about it (we've tried talking to him several times and gotten no where and says it's our problem not his). We've lived here for 5 years and never had this problem before, even during the 2013 floods. Is there anything we can do, or do we keep building this huge fence? (we have 1 1/2 acres of property). thanks
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Queensland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have contacted the local council on several occasions and even had the Environmental people come out to look but they tell me that there's nothing to be done as water flows downhill and we are downhill.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's all thanks
10/23/2017
Daniel, Solicitor

Hello
Send a demand letter to him, demanding payment for the damage.

Take photos, prove the damage and have a quote undertaken from a tradie to confirm how much it will cost to remedy.
If he chooses not to make payment, all you can do is sue them in court.

It is a civil matter, they caused the damage and it needs to be paid.

If the damage is under $25k, you can file in QCAT:

http://www.qcat.qld.gov.au/matter-types/minor-civil-disputes

I wish to help you in this situation.

Please click accept / rate my service (WITH THE STARS). I am able to answer further questions after doing so at no further cost to you

Daniel, Solicitor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help. After reading your reply, I am stunned that our local council and the building planner who spoke to me, told me that there was nothing I could do, they even told me, there was no 'dispute or resolution' option for us at all and when I asked if there was anything 'legal' I could do, I was told no. We have already spent thousands of dollars on the fencing to this point but, we did not take photographs at the time, as we were under the belief from the council, that there was nothing we could do. We had previous to this, paid a contractor, to do civil work, to put a 'pool pad' for an above ground pool we were paying off and this was washed away. To give you an example, last night there was a storm and although the drainage ditch and corrugated fence we've already built, helped, we still have had about a tonne of his sandy topsoil wash over to our place and into our dam, as it's the only way we can direct the water away from our house area. We really don't want raw sewerage from our septic tank, running under our house again. I had thought, that our local council would be more helpful, knowing that the raw sewerage from our septic tank was now under our house and all through our block. We don't particularly like that we have had to put up this corrugated fence (2 metres inside our boundary and ugly to look at) and the drainage ditch (which we have to take care of, neighbour won't kill weeds on his side of the fence line and they end up in the drainage ditch which we then have to maintain and clean out) Thank you again for your help and I'll see what we can do.

All the best with it.

Daniel, Solicitor