Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

We have been experiencing severe financial hardship, with…

Customer Question
Hi, We have...

Hi, We have been experiencing severe financial hardship, with business and personal credit card debts totalling $112,000 with the ANZ Bank.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Sorry - not finished - I have approached the bank and explained that if they are not able to reduce the debt and allow us to pay it off, then we have to enter into bankruptcy. They are willing to reduce the debt by 20% which I would need to find within 10 days, which is not possible. I thought banks were supposed to assist their clients when in hardship? It is in WA and started a couple of years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

What do you mean by filed or reported?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/18/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 9 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

They are and they usually extend the repayments or freeze interest rates for a period of time.

I am surprised they offered to reduce it by 20% that is highly unusual.

What type of reduction were you wanting to get?