Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Canada Bay council have determined that my footpath is not…

Customer Question
Dear Pearl, Canada Bay...

Dear Pearl, Canada Bay council have determined that my footpath is not satisfactory due to a piece of concrete being laid in 2 pieces as opposed to 1. It is not dangerous, and there are many examples of this happening around us. Ours is a brand new home, and has built to a very high standard. Council are holding back $588 dollars to repair a piece on concrete that does not need repair, and I am seeking your advice as to how to challenge this very bad decision.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New South Wales, the address is*****concord NSW 2137

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The footpath has been inspected by a Julian Fernandez, Asset Inspector, Canada Bay - Ph: (02) 9911-6555

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have many photos of the footpaths around the area that are uneven and dangerous. I spoke with a Solicitor client of mine that is involved in Council Planning decisions, and he advised me to contact the Ombudsman as the footpath is not dangerous, and is in better condition that most around us. The issue I have is that they are charging me a very high fee to repair something that is not in need of repair.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/17/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Morning

Did you have to put in the footpath and had council given you a requirement and plans that you had to follow?

The footpath was required yes, and was laid by a licensed concreter. The day after the concrete was laid, Jemena then came and dug part of the concrete path up to connect the gas to the new home. When they dug it up, they only dug up a part of the concrete path, ie: 2/3rds of the new piece. As the hole in the footpath needed to be filled back in, I got the original concreter, at my expense, to come back and re-fill the hole to ensure no-one fell into it. Council is saying that the entire piece should have been dug up, but it was Jemena who dug up the new concrete and at no time did they indicate that there was an issue in just re-filling the new hole with more concrete.
I am sorry Leon but I thought I was talking to the Ombudsman, are you the ombudsman?

So it was Jemena that created the issue?

Had council come out and inspected before Jemena?

Why did you not request thart Jemena repair the footpath, it is a requirement.

Good Afternoon

I am not the ombudsman.

Their website is as follows

https://www.ombo.nsw.gov.au/

You will need to lodge a formal complaint and wait for them to investigate.

They will not provide you with information online.

They will advise you to get legal advise if you call them.

Contact them and lodge a formal complaint and hopefully they will overrule council.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards