Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I have two pet insurance policies with the same insurer. One…

Customer Question
I have two pet insurance...
I have two pet insurance policies with the same insurer. One I have had a dispute with that was not answered and which I referred to the Ombudsman without success and eventually closed. The insurer has now not renewed either policy without explanation. Can an Australian Insurance Company take a customer's premiums, over many years, and then decided not to renew a policy without giving any explanation? Isn't that fraudulent?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Australia Law
10/15/2017
Solicitor: John Melis, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
John Melis, Lawyer

Dear customer, my name is***** solicitor, thank you for using Just Answer, I will assist with your question today. Please allow me a few moments to review your post and I will respond accordingly. Kind regards ***** *****

Dear customer, in relation to your important matter, the key element as to whether the insurer may cancel the policy without consultation with you, will be based on the provisions of the policy. If the policy is silent on this fact of termination, then there is no right terminate the policy resulting in a loss to you. In this circumstance where the policy is silent and it has been cancelled without notice to you, a claim may be raised for a refund for the amount lost after the cancellation. However, if disclosure was provided that termination could occur, then no claim may lay, as the insurer would be in their full rights to terminate the policy.

To determine what the answer is, it would be necessary to review the policy as a first step before considering a claim against insurer.

If you would like to discuss this matter further by telephone, I welcome you to request those services.

If you have any further questions, I would be pleased to answer those for you.

Please don’t forget to leave positive feed back by rating for 5 stars.

Kind regards

John Melis, Lawyer