Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I’m in a motorhome travelling with my husband. I have run…

Customer Question
Hi ,I’m in a...

Hi ,I’m in a motorhome travelling with my husband. I have run into heaps of caravan parks who don’t have disability bathrooms,in port Macquarie I have only found three ,the rest just give you excuses. One even tried to charge me $100. For a key to bathroom. What is the Lawson this please. An they do what they want,or not. Also so many shops,resteraunts etc. I can’t enter, This is all over Australia. Cheers mary

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the RV?

Our RV is a 2005 model and at the moment in NSW ,but it happened lots too in Queensland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I sent a letter some time ago to disability I.ity services in a Kay,Queensland, it never answered my questions ,All I wanted tok ow if it’s ok for these parks not to have disability bathrooms and going into shops etc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Australia Law
I have no proof,ijust ring them up and ask, if they have any available,I just would like to know what the law states about it please
10/7/2017
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Leon, Solicitor

Hi, I am Leon, a NSW Solicitor. I will be assisting you with your question. If you choose a telephone call, you will be charged an additional fee.

Good Afternoon

What would you like to know?

I would like to know what the law states in caravan parks for disability bathrooms,is it law for so many not having them please. And to be charged $100 for a bathroom key, which would be returned on leaving,The second question is about access into shops, etc, if I cannot enter, is this ok By law

Good Afternoon

The laws are state based laws and local government laws.

These are planning issues.

Each state has their own.

I cannot go through and research all of them. The council is the body that has licenses them and has to deal with this.

Here is an example of the NSW local government regulations

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/num_reg/lgpcgamdar19981998172792.pdf

If you search disabilities you will see what they require

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If you wish a phone call please elect for one but be aware it will be an additional fee. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

I read your reply and to be honest there was nothing there that could assist me. I had already read that Gov. site but was hoping you could have assisted me in an email address or something that I could correspond to about it. But thank you, ***** ***** other thing was I agreed to pay the $5, but never spoke on the phone and was sent a rather large bill, I noticed the $5 was taken but saw the rest was pending. As I said before I will not pay the extra. Mary

Good Evening

I am unable to take on work from here.

I will arrange you get a refund. If you wish a call it is a further $85.00

You elected to pay what is pending but that is ok. I will seek a refund for you.
Regards